Five Mindful Eating Techniques for Diabetics
Diet has the most important role in managing diabetics. People dealing with diabetes research a lot about the ideal meal for diabetics and learn how various food affects blood glucose levels. It has become one of the most common health issues of the world and people are becoming more aware to deal with this prevalent health issue in a better way. One of the best solutions is to avoid mindless eating.
How Mindful Eating helps in Diabetes Control?
Practising mindfulness can help you to adopt healthy eating behaviours. Mindful eating behaviours will break your involuntary and unconscious eating. You can better control your response to the external emotional triggers that lead to unhealthy food habits. Involuntary eating is emotional, habitual or impulsive eating. Mindful eating prevents you from eating quickly and makes you more cautious about what you are eating. You can practice it anywhere and at any time. Paying more attention to your present eating habits will allow you to make positive changes in them for better diabetic control. With food portioncontrol, you can easily have control of your diabetes.
Few Mindful Eating Habits for Diabetes Control
Here are a few healthy food habits that can help you to manage your diabetes in a better way-
- Choose Healthier Form of Carbohydrates-Carbohydrates directly affects blood glucose and thus it is essential to know the foods containing a good amount of carbohydrates. You can replace unhealthy carbohydrates with healthier food options. Instead of using white rice and white bread, you can use brown rice and brown bread. Other healthy sources of carbohydrates are fruits, vegetables and pulses. Dairy products like yogurt and milk are other healthier options for carbohydrates. Also, increase the intake of fibrous foods in your diet. It also helps in weightloss of your body.
- Include Good Fats in Your Diet-Including fat in your diet is important as it provides us energy. But some fats are healthy for our body while some are unhealthy. Some foods like unsalted nuts, avocados, olive oil, flax seeds etc contain healthy fats while saturated fats are considered unhealthy fats as they increase the cholesterol level in the human blood and also increase the risks for heart problems. Usually, animal products contain saturated fats which are unhealthy for your body.
- Reduce Excess Sugar-It may be very hard for you to cutdown your sugarintake from your daily diet. Sugary drinks and beverages can be replaced with buttermilk, flavoured milk or unsweetened tea or coffee. You can also use coconut sugar, jaggery powder or honey instead of using white sugar. These are even healthier options and can help you to manage your diabetes wisely. Not only you can reduce your excess weight but also can lower your blood sugar levels.
- Reduce Salt Intake-Including more salt in your daily diet can also increase risks for high blood pressure. This also increases the risks for heart-related diseases. A diabetic person is having more risk for these health issues. Keep your salt intake per day maximum to 6g. Avoid eating salty pre-packed foods and snacks, rather make healthier foodchoices.
- Eat Lots of Fruits and Vegetables-Eating more fruits and vegetables will keep your body full of all minerals, vitamins and fibre. Taking natural sugar is far better than eating added sugar found in chocolate, biscuits and cakes.